Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger and Freelance Model

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

3 Tips to Keep Colored Hair Healthy


When I was a child my mother always had my hair cut short. As I got older and was able to make my own decisions regarding hair cuts, I finally got the chance to have the long hair I desired. But longer hair also meant more hair to take care of, and soon enough I was dyeing it as well. Long, color processed hair can be very high maintenance but I have 3 tips for keeping your hair healthy no matter what you put it through.


1. Wash Your Hair as Often as You Need To

A common piece of advice is to wash your hair every other day or less. The theory behind this is that the more you wash your hair, the more it gets dried out and the faster the color will fade. I'd have to disagree with this recommendation because how often you should wash your hair depends on your hair type. I have fine hair, which tends to be oilier because of the smaller hair follicles and even though I wash my hair in the morning, my scalp shows signs of greasiness by night. If you have dry and think hair then you should wash your hair less. My favorite shampoo and conditioner at the moment are the Suave Professionals Sea Minerals Infusion Shampoo ($2.92) & Conditioner ($2.92) since they're sulfate-free so they won't strip your hair of color!

2. Invest in a Good Hair Treatment

Since hair treatments are usually left in for at least 20 minutes, they're worth splurging on. The hair treatment you use should be tailored to your specific issues. In my case, I have long and color processed hair so I use a repairing treatment like the Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque ($24). My hair is also dyed blonde so I use a purple deep conditioner, like the Davines Alchemic Silver Conditioner ($19.99) every other week to prevent brasiness.

3. Limit Your Use of Styling Tools

My final tip for keeping your hair healthy is to limit your use of styling tools and products. I blow-dry my hair every day but I only use other hot tools on special occasions, such as photoshoots and parties. And if you do use any hot tools be sure to use a heat protectant, such as the Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray ($3.99). Over-exposure to heat and styling products can mess with your hair color and health.

If you abide by these three rules, the chances are your hair will thank you. As an added bonus, my friends over at Madison Reed provided me with this simple infographic on popular hair myths:


So don't be afraid to dye your hair to the color of your dreams, and if you need some inspiration on what that color may be, head on over to Madison Reed's Hair Dye Advisor page. Just remember to cater to your individual hair's needs and your hair will stay happy and healthy!

Products Mentioned
xoxo, Elle
Follow
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment