Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger and Freelance Model

Thursday, December 10, 2015

3 Tips for Surviving the Holidays

(Source: We Heart It)
'Tis the season for packed calendars, awkward family gatherings and deflated wallets. When I was a kid this was the best time of the year, but as I've gotten older I've started to dread the holidays more and more. A lot of that stress comes from having to juggle my normal day-to-day responsibilities with the addition of gift-giving and more get-togethers than usual.

This year I decided to tackle the stress head-on by getting a jump-start on all the extra tasks that come with the holiday season. Being on top of everything has really helped and I haven't experienced a melt-down (yet). So here are my tips and tricks for keeping your cool during the most wonderful hectic time of the year:
(Source: We Heart It)
1. Buy Your Presents...Now!
When you're a kid, the holidays are all about gift-getting but as an adult the roles are reversed and you're the gift giver now. I never realized how difficult shopping for a present could be until I started having to get them for my younger relatives. The questions that pass through my mind usually go something like this: Who do I need to get gifts for? What would they want? Is it within my budget? Will they like it? Buying presents can become a very daunting task and thats why I think many people procrastinate and push it to the last minute. But don't make that mistake! Start brainstorming and shopping for gifts now. The earlier you buy them the more likely you are to find that perfect gift at the perfect price.

2. Schedule Everything
I'd like to think I'm a free spirit, but when it comes to juggling family gatherings and get-togethers with my friends I leave nothing to chance. I make sure to jot down every brunch, lunch, dinner and catch-up at the bar so that I can avoid double-booking. The worst is when you realize you agreed to family dinner with both your own parents and your boyfriend's at the same time!

(Source: We Heart It)
3. Give Back
With all the craziness it can be easy to forget what this time of the year is really all about, and that's giving back. Whether it's doing something small for your next door neighbor or donating to a charity of your choice, there are plenty of ways to do a good deed. This now brings me to the inspiration behind this post and a huge confession that I need to make:

My followers may have noticed that I haven't posted in over three weeks. While I do apologize for the radio silence, I'd like to explain the reason behind my disappearance. A week before Thanksgiving I found out that a very dear friend of mine was brutally assaulted and mugged in Crown Heights. The news really broke my heart and I'd been trying to figure out ways to help him, but I could not bring myself to write anything regarding the incident because I felt it wouldn't be right for me to speak on his behalf. If you'd like to know the full story please head over to the Gothamist where he provided a full recap of what happened and the extent of his injuries. So, in the spirit of giving please read his story so that it does not become forgotten and please help him in any way that you can. Whether that be by making a donation to his GoFundMe to help pay for his surgeries or just sharing his story through social media, every little bit helps.

Thank You & Have a Happy Holidays!

xoxo, Elle
Follow
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment